This is an offering to the artists of San Jose.
I owe San Jose my creative life. I see the town going through a period of rapid growth and development, and I would like to offer this album to my community in dedication of a time when San Jose used to be orchards
released September 21, 2016
1. Antes Era Huertos (Song For Tulio) Composed by Cellista.
2. St. James Park* Inspired by Tamiko Rast’s painting “St. James Park.”
Composed by Cellista.
Cellista, Cello and Field Recordings.
3. A Conversation At Trials* Inspired and dedicated to the arts community of downtown San Jose.Composed by Cellista.
Poem by David Perez. Prompts by Cellista. Cellista, Cello. Emcee Infinite (Carlos Aguirre), Vocal Percussion. Rykarda Parasol, Narrator. Alvin Rivera, Narrator.
4. Interlude I (Mon Voisin) Composed by Cellista. Cellista, Cello.
5. Where Is My Mind? Written by Frank Black Ⓟ1988 4AD.Arranged by Cellista. Cellista, Cello. Emcee Infinite (Carlos Aguirre), Vocal Percussion. 6. Louange à l’Eternité de Jésus (from the Quartet For The End Of Time)Composed by Olivier Messiaen ©Ⓟ Durand & Cie 1942.Cellista, Cello. Naomi Stine, Piano.
7. Interlude II (No Hope) Composed by Cellista.
8. The Rip* Written by Geoff Barrow, Beth Gibbons, and Adrian Utley. Arranged for cello and synth by Cellista, based on an arrangement by Lawrence Ngo. Cellista, Cello and Synth. Emcee Infinite (Carlos Aguirre), Vocal Percussion.
9. Interlude III (Barron Landscape) Dedicated to Barron Storey.Composed by Cellista. Cellista, Cello.
10. It Used To Be Orchards Title taken from an unknown artist’s display I stumbled on at San Jose’s Kaleid Art Gallery in 2010.Composed by Cellista. Cellista, Cello.
11. San José (I Know the Way) Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Arranged by Joshua Icban. Lyrics written and performed by DEM ONE (Demone Carter). Performed by the Juxtapositions Chamber Ensemble. Ilana Thomas, Violin I. Kristina Dutton, Violin II. Christina Owens, Viola. Cellista, Cello. Emcee Infinite (Carlos Aguirre), Vocal Percussion.
12. Fountain Alley Composed by Cellista. Cellista, Cello.
13. Finding San José Poem written by Frank Seeburger. Rykarda Parasol, Piano and Narration. Collaged by Cellista
14. Lament Composed by Cellista. Lyrics written and performed by Cellista. Cellista, Cello.
Produced by Cellista (ASCAP).
*Produced by Cellista and Maryam Qudus (BMI).
Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 ,10, and 14 tracked by Cellista for Chez Cellista Studios, San Jose, CA. Track 2 field recordings by Cellista sampled from the Paris Métro Châtelet – Les Halles Line Aand Stalag VIIIA in Görlitz, Germany.Track 3 tracked by Shawn Alpay for Tiny Telephone Recording, San Francisco, CA. Track 6 tracked by Brad K. Dollar (BMI) for Zoo Labs, Oakland, CA. Track 11 tracked by Maryam Qudus for Women’s Audio Mission, San Francisco, CA. Track 13 piano tracked by Shawn Alpay, tiny telephone rotary dial tracked by Beau Sorenson for Tiny Telephone Recording, narration tracked by Rykarda Parasol (BMI).
All tracks mixed by Maryam Qudus, track 6 mixed by Brad K. Dollar, track 10 mixed by Cellista. Mastered by Beau Sorenson.
Cover art by Tulio Flores tulioflores.com
Additional photographs by Cromwell Schubarth.
Graphic Design by Ian Young quietgiantdesign.com
Art Direction by Cellista. Cellista.net
Dedicated to Nicolas Hadacek. Je t’aime.
Instructions For Listening:
●In a candlelit room, root yourself firmly in the present with eyes wide open.
●Listen all the way through.